I have pages upon pages of elopement tips that I share with my couples, but if I boiled it down to my top 5 these tips would be it. The first 4 focus on planning an unforgettable experience for yourselves. The last is probably my best logistical tip, especially if seclusion is a top priority for you on your elopement day. So, without further ado, here are my Top 5 Elopement Tips.
Elopement Tip #1 Focus on what matters to YOU
This day is about celebrating your love and commitment to each other, your way. Keep what matters to you and your partner at the forefront during your planning sessions. Ask each other questions like:
- What activities, rituals, or people make us feel at peace?
- Who or what makes you feel you can be your truest self?
- What makes us feel connected to one another?
- What makes us feel alive?
- What places, landscapes, or climates make you feel there is nowhere in the world you’d rather be?
Remember YOU are planning an event to celebrate YOUR love for each other. It can be easy to lose sight of this in all the noise that family, friends and the media can create when you are planning your wedding day. Remind yourselves throughout the planning that your wedding should only involve the traditions, standards, and people that matter to YOU.
Elopement Tip #2 Plan for time to relax before and after your elopement
Vowing your life to another is a huge deal and you deserve the time and space to ENJOY this. Plan to have a day before your elopement day to decompress from all the travel and prepare for your upcoming vows. Plan a day after your elopement day to revel in your new life together and reflect on your epic elopement.
Elopement Tip #3 Book a memorable activity or excursion before, during, or after your elopement
Doing something new and exciting is a great way to bond with your partner and make memories that last a lifetime. Maybe you elope in the Swiss Alps and then spend 2 days on the slopes celebrating with your closest family and friends. Maybe you take a 3 day horseback riding trip through Montana and elope while you are overlooking an incredible view. Maybe you take your first-ever helicopter ride to an epic mountain peak to say your vows. Live it up! Incorporating these things will only add to the thrill of your elopement.
Elopement Tip #4 Engage all 5 senses
Memories are made up of all five senses, so lean into that.
- Sight Take the time to fall in love with the way the beautiful alpine glow showers the mountains in pink and orange and the way the grass sways in the wind while you embrace your love. Accessorize with your favorite colors and patterns. Really look at each other. Notice how when he smiles his forehead crinkles and the way her freckles look like constellations.
- Smell Pick out a new perfume or cologne to wear during your elopement. Then you can use that scent exclusively for your date nights throughout the years, bringing back all the incredible memories of your special day.
- Touch Hold hands, touch your partner’s face, give each other long tight hugs more than usual and revel in how they fit with you.
- Hear Music can instantly bring you back to a moment. Create a playlist of your favorite songs to listen to as you get ready, during your first dance, and throughout your whole day.
- Taste Pack your all-time favorite foods for a picnic. Cheese, baguette, chocolates, your favorite wine – all are totally packable! Make a reservation at an incredible restaurant after your elopement.
Elopement Tip #5 Elope on a Weekday
Last but not least, elope on a weekday. Hiking trails and points of interest tend to be less crowded during the week. Tours and services might be cheaper and have more flexibility since they are in less demand than on the weekend.
I hope these tips help you craft the most epic and memorable elopement day. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I’m happy to help you navigate planning an epic start to the lifelong adventure you are about to embark on.